[Paraview] Problem with big files

Christoph Moder mail at christoph-moder.de
Wed Mar 29 09:14:51 EST 2006

Hi!

I have problems loading big files with Paraview. I have asked a similar
question already some weeks ago; but then I have found out that the
errors I get must have different causes. So I ask again, this time more
tightly focused.

I have a binary data file (unstructured grid) in different resolutions.
The smaller versions of the file work well, up to a grid size of 5.5
million points/10.5 million cells (file size: 400 MB). But the file
with the highest resolution, with 10.8 million grid points and 21
million cells (file size: 800 MB), does not work. Paraview fails with
the following error message:
========
There was a VTK Error in file:
/home/moder/paraview-3D/paraview-2.4.3-clone2/GUI/Client/vtkPVApplication.cxx
(1732)
 vtkPVApplication (0xb4fc208): TclTk error: Uncaught exception:
St9bad_alloc
 Uncaught exception: St9bad_alloc

    while executing
\"vtkTemp2 OpenCallback\"
    invoked from within
\".paraview.#paraview#2.#paraview#2#17 invoke active\"
    (\"uplevel\" body line 1)
    invoked from within
\"uplevel #0 [list $w invoke active]\"
    (procedure \"tk::MenuInvoke\" line 47)
    invoked from within
\"tk::MenuInvoke .paraview.#paraview#2.#paraview#2#17 1\"
    (command bound to event)
========

It sounds as if there was not enough memory -- but the computer has 2
GB RAM plus 3 GB swap space, this should be really enough.

Does anyone know why this does not work? Is there any size limit? How
big are the data files that you process?

Thanks,
Christoph