[Paraview] RE: Seeding streamlines and 2 questions : Data Topologies and Sharp autostereo rendering

Simone Crippa crippa at kth.se
Tue Mar 28 12:15:23 EST 2006

Hej,

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 09:47 -0700, Richard Strelitz wrote:
> Answer 1:  (for Stephen Wornom in France, a respectable distance from
> Vicksburg, MS)
> Streamlines are seeded by using a vtk-geometry; even a set of points
> as an unstructured points object will work.  VTK does not have a
> topology extractor which would help you to find the vrotex cores and
> the strakes.

Interesting ... this means that instead of "line" and "point cloud" in
the streamtracer seed selection box, one could have something like
"extracted topology" ... provided an appropriate filter? What about a
cut between a custom plane and a surface mesh? Could the resulting curve
be used for seeding the streamlines?

> Question 1:
>    Is there interest in a topology filter?  Any features that you'd
> like to have?  I need to write one, and it would be nice to have a
> collaborator or even an interested party.

Stockholm, Sweden is also a respectable distance from Vicksburg, MS ...
and I have interest in a topology extraction filter ... that's another
thing in common with Stephen Wornom (presumably :-)

A feature extraction filter as in Ensight (I think using the semi-open
MIT FX toolkit) would be a great thing to have! But personally, I would
be more that happy to have just a "simple" cut to use as a seed.

So ... interested party: definitely; collaborator: if I can help, sure!

Regards, Simone