[Paraview] Run Problem using Viaual Studio 8.0

Amy Squillacote amy.squillacote at kitware.com
Tue Mar 14 09:27:28 EST 2006

Hi Andrew,

I'm copying this thread back to the ParaView
users list to keep other people up-to-date on
this issue.  The error around line 1205 in
vtkClientServerStream.cxx has now been fixed both
on the trunk and the 2.4 branch of the ParaView
CVS repository.  Another developer at Kitware
(who has a Visual Studio 8.0 compiler) is looking
into the problem in
vtkInformationVectorKey.  I'll let you know when it has been fixed.

- Amy

At 10:33 PM 3/13/2006, Andrew Maclean wrote:
>Hi Amy,
>
>It still won’t run – an exception is raised at
>line 1205 in vtkClientserver.cxx.
>
>Thanks for fixing line 239 (I prefer your
>solution to mine!), but in the same bug report I
>also mentioned line1205 and, as I thought, it is not fixed.
>Look at line 1205 – in vtkClientServerStream.cxx
>[ unsigned char* end = &*this->Internal->Data.end(); ]
>This raises a “vector iterator not
>dereferencable” error. This is actually correct
>behavior; the standard does not allow you to
>dereference the end iterator. It just so happens
>that this compiler picks up this one and no others do!
>

>My suggestions would be:
>
>1 ) Delete lines 1208 to 1211 and add the following at line 1202:
>if(this->Internal->Data.empty())
>   {
>      return 0;
>   }
>This does the empty vector check before anything happens.
>
>2) You can then (but I don’t like it – it’s a
>kludge which fools the compiler) replace:
>unsigned char *end = &*this->Internal->Data.end();
>with
>unsigned char *end = begin+this->Internal->Data.size()*sizeof(unsigned char);
>
>and the parser seems to work.
>
>3) But then you then get a crash at line 138 in
>vtkInformationVectorKey.cxx. Once again this
>line triggers a “vector subscript out of range error”.

 this is getting complex!   I don’t know this