[Paraview] Problems using EnSight data with ParaView 2.4 and CVS compared to 2.2.1 seem linked to "multi-group data"

Yvan Fournier yvan.fournier at free.fr
Sun Jan 22 09:27:39 EST 2006

Hello,

I have encountered some problems with EnSight data using ParaView 2.4
and CVS (compiled from jan 19th's sources) on different Linux machines.

This seems linked to the change from ParaView and VTK's handling of
multiple parts in EnSight data, in which one must now extract
datasets instead of parts to work on a single part. Under ParaView 2.4.2
and CVS head, unstructured EnSight Gold data containing a single part
appears as Type: "Multi-block" in the information tab, whereas it
appears as "Unstructured grid" under ParaView 2.2.1.

I noticed 2 bugs with ParaView 2.4.2 and CVS with this data :

- trying to use volume rendering causes a segmentation fault
  (reported as bug 2499)

- Probe using a point or line does not work correctly, as variables
  do not appear in the list of point scalars, and no plot appears

With these versions of ParaView, I can only export mesh data
to "VTK Multi Group Files". Exporting to this format and reading back
from it, I still encounter the exact same problems when I read
the main ".vtm" file, but everything works fine when I use
the ".vtu" file in the sub-directory of the same name
(except for an apparently unrelated bug in the CVS version,
in which the probe filter remains unavailable even after
applying "Cell Data to Point Data", and only works when
the initial data contains point data).
Type information also appears correctly again when only
re-reading the ".vtu" file.

Exporting to "ParaView Data Files" format from ParaView 2.2.1
and re-reading with ParaView 2.4.2, things work fine also.
With ParaView CVS, things are almost the same, except for the
aforementioned bug for the probe filter remaining unavailable
when the data read only contains cell data.

I include corresponding test data.

Best regards,

        Yvan Fournier