[Paraview] Cannot Read Binary Unstr Legacy VTK with 2.4.2

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Tue Feb 28 17:35:41 EST 2006

ParaView 2.4.2 crashes when it reads a file using the VTK legacy binary
format for an unstructured grid. In my test case there is one hexahedron
and no data. A similar file in ASCII works fine. The error:

"There was a VTK Error in file: .../VTK/Common/vtkDataArrayTemplate.txx
(105)
 vtkDoubleArray (0xd11fff8): Unable to allocate 402653184 elements of size
8: St9bad_alloc"

I'm working from the document "File Formats for VTK Version 4.2" from the
Kitware site. ParaView and the C program writing the binary VTK file were
compiled on my Pentium 4 system using gcc 4.0.2. The system runs Redhat
Fedora Core 4.

The binary data is written to the file directly from memory, i.e., it is in
this system's native format. Is that what VTK and ParaView expect?

TIA.

Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center