[Paraview] Ensight measured/particle file format and paraview

Viksit Gaur vik.list.vtk at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 02:30:04 EST 2006

Hi again all,

I recently got back to tackle my original problem of simulating a
particle system using paraview. I was just going through some old emails
which I'd talked to Renato and Samuel in.. and read through a lot of the
documentation too.

I've since come to the conclusion that the VTK XML files are of not too
much to use to me, since I expect to have upwards of 100,000 particles
in the system. I then looked at the Fortran routines available at
Renato's webpage, as well as the documentation available on the gold
file format.

The Ensight Gold measured/particle file format featured in section 11.1
of the manual seems to be exactly what i need...

A description line
particle coordinates
#_of_Particles
id xcoord ycoord zcoord
id xcoord ycoord zcoord
.
.
.

Well, has anyone worked with this before? Have you been successful in
reading these files into paraview? (I haven't, hence the question).
Also, are these files binary, or ASCII?

I also remember Sam Key talking about cells, and other structures used
to simulate and represent data in 3D. Are those necessary if this format
already exists?

[My intention, is to have a number of time steps for a particle system
with say n particles, and over each step, the X, Y and Z coordinates of
the particles change. This when run as an animation, with some suitable
glyphs should (hopefully) do what I expect it to.. simulate the movement
of the system.]

Thanks!
Viksit

--