[Paraview] help w/ glXGetProcAddressARB not declared

Stefan Friedel stefan.friedel at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Feb 2 04:30:43 EST 2006

Hello all,

I want to compile Paraview for a cluster - based on an old debian/woody; linux
kernel 2.4.31, gcc/g++ 3.3.5 and mpich (gm/Myri). We want to use off-screen
rendering. I tried to use the  debian stable mesa libs (some 4.x) and also the
current mesa release 6.4.1 from www.mesa3d.org - but I always get a compiler
error after a while, saying:

#############################
[...]
Building object file vtkOpenGLExtensionManager.o...
/home/thor2/sfriedel/SOFTWARE/paraview/paraview-2.4.2/VTK/Rendering/vtkOpenGLExtensionManager.cxx: In
   member function `virtual void (*
   vtkOpenGLExtensionManager::GetProcAddress(const char*))()':
/home/thor2/sfriedel/SOFTWARE/paraview/paraview-2.4.2/VTK/Rendering/vtkOpenGLExtensionManager.cxx:195: error: `
   glXGetProcAddressARB' undeclared (first use this function)
/home/thor2/sfriedel/SOFTWARE/paraview/paraview-2.4.2/VTK/Rendering/vtkOpenGLExtensionManager.cxx:195: error: (Each
   undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears
   in.)
make[5]: *** [vtkOpenGLExtensionManager.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** [default_target] Error 2
make[3]: *** [default_target_Rendering] Error 2
make[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2
make[1]: *** [default_target_VTK] Error 2
make: *** [default_target] Error 2

#############################

But in glx.h:

#############################
[...]
extern void (*glXGetProcAddressARB(const GLubyte *procName))();
[...]

Is there a general problem when using mesa? Do I need another OpenGL
implementation? I found some hints to replace the glx.h header from mesa with
the one from eg. NVIDIAs binary driver, any experiences with that  -  or any
other hints?

Thanks+Regards, Stefan Friedel
--
Zentrale Dienste - Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für Wissenschaftliches
Rechnen der Universität Heidelberg - IWR - INF 368, 69120 Heidelberg