[Paraview] Help! Paraview keeps crashing out with X Error on Mac Powerbook G4

mike jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 12:17:47 EDT 2006

On 4/20/06, Joe Koski <jkoski11 at comcast.net> wrote:
> on 4/20/06 2:41 AM, Andreas Bollermann at andreas.bollermann at rwth-aachen.de
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > on my Powerbook G4, OS X 10.4.6, the binaries from the website work, but
> > the last version is very unstable. Anyone still having 2.4.2 binaries?
> >
> > The recent stable code doesn't compile on my machine, the CVS code
> > builds, but last time I tried it crashed shortly after startup.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andreas
>
> Andreas,
>
> I have not had any problems with paraview-2.4.3 on my G5 with OS X 10.3.9.
> Currently, there are also reported build problems for PowerPC Macs with OS X
> 10.4.6 with the open source products octave and R. Apparently, the same
> builds work without problems on the new Intel Macs with 10.4.6. I monitor
> the Apple scitech list, and, while the problems are being reported, there is
> no word from Apple about the existence of the problem or if it will be fixed
> soon. I suspect that they are swamped supporting the new Intel platform.
>
> Maybe we should ask for the paraview website to add the the 2.4.2 version
> until the problem is cleared.
>
> Joe
>

> > Mike Jackson schrieb:
> >>    Yep, I have the same problem. I am running OS X 10.4.6 Intel and OS X
> >> 10.4.6 PPC. Both crash out of X in about that same spot. I at least used
> >> to be able to run the binaries from Paraview.org, but not any more.
> >>    Trying to build on OS X 10.4.x will not work either. It will
> >> successfully compile, but not work. I tried compiling with GCC 4 and GCC
> >> 3. I tried running PPC binaries on Intel hardware hoping that Rosetta
> >> would kick in.. Nothing I have tried works.
> >>    The only know working solution is Paraview 2.2.1 running on OS X
> >> 10.3.9. That was the last time I had anything working on Mac Hardware.
> >>
> >> Good luck.
> >> Mike Jackson

I can report that Paraview version 2.4.3 (Current Stable Version) does
NOT work on OS X 10.4.6 for Intel. I have a MacBook Pro running 10.4.6
and while Paraview will compile, it will not run. The splash screen
shows up but then crashes when OpenGL is called.

Who is reporting that Paraview _is_ working with Intel hardware? I
would like to find out how they are building it and getting it to
work.

Are you saying that paraview 2.4.2 does compile and build on OS X
10.4.6 for Intel? Then it should be a matter of looking for that tag
in CVS and doing a Check out and Build.

--
Mike Jackson
imikejackson _at_ gee-mail dot com