[Paraview] Re question about pvs file compatiblity

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 09:33:56 EDT 2005

> I see in the last version 2.2.1 of Paraview, I can't load the pvs files
> generate with a previous version 1.8 and 2.0 too.
> I use pvs and I build a set of pvs to load automatically some computation
> results with the good set of command.
>
> So must I rebuild all my pvs with the lastest version or it's Paraview bug
> which will be corrected ?

This is not a bug. There has been significant internal changes between
2.0 and 2.2 and the break in compatibility reflects this.
Unfortunately, the paraview scripts are highly dependent on the
programming interface of paraview and tend to break when this changes.
If you post some of the errors you get, someone might help you write a
script to fix your scripts.

> And in the futur, will you insure the compatibility with the previous
> version of pvs files ?

We will try. The paraview API is now more stable and we should be able
to buffer the scripting language from minor changes. However, paraview
is a growing project and backwards compatibility is not guaranteed.

-Berk