[Paraview] OSF1 or Tru64?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Feb 22 14:03:46 EST 2005

Kent Eschenberg wrote:
> ParaView will not compile on our system. We spent about a week
> getting ParaView 1.6.3 to work using a lot of hand editing.
>
> The main problem is that CMake doesn't get the size of various variables
> right. It is also unable to decide between various overloaded functions
> in some places. Its not really a CMake problem - its just that our
> system may be a bit unusual. I hope to find a way to nudge CMake in the
> right direction.

CMake is supposed to work on many (even obscure) platforms.  If it isn't
getting things right please report the details of the problems so we can
fix it for the future.  Either the ParaView CMake code or CMake itself
may need a fix.

A common reason for getting the sizes wrong is if you change the
compiler or flags setting after CMake has configured the first time.  If
you want to create a new build tree for ParaView with some special C or
C++ flags then do this:

export CC="cc"
export CXX="CC"
export CFLAGS="-enable64"
export CXXFLAGS="-enable64"
cmake ../ParaView

where you fill in the appropriate compiler and flag names.  This way
CMake will use the proper flags for the configuration step.  We are
working on getting CMake to deal with changing the compiler after the
first configuration phase but it isn't implemented yet.

-Brad