[Paraview] problems compiling Paraview

Alexandra Badea alex at orion.duhs.duke.edu
Fri Oct 8 07:49:04 EDT 2004

Greetings!

I think it's best to send attached the CMakeCahe.txt file.
And because it's too long I will also specify the changes from the
default settings for CMake.
I am sorry if my explanations are simplistic too.

1. I created a directory (paraviewbuild) at the same level with the
paraview source directory (paraview-1.6.3);
2. I had to use CMake2.0.3 since my old good friend 1.8.3 was not good
enough for building paraview.
3. cd to the paraviewbuild directory
3. run ccmake from the build directory.
in my case:
[ithaka:/Users/alex/software/paraviewbuild] alex% /usr/local/bin/ccmake
/Users/alex/software/paraview-1.6.3
4.  as Patrick said I used
> backwards compatibility of 2.0. ;VTK_USE_X=ON ;VTK_USE_COCOA=OFF;
> VTK_USE_CARBON=OFF.
so:
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS                OFF
CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY    2.0
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX             /usr/local
PARAVIEW_USE_SYSTEM_HDF5         OFF
VTK_APPLE_RESOURCE               /Developer/Tools/Rez
VTK_USE_CARBON                   OFF
VTK_USE_COCOA                    OFF
VTK_USE_MPI                      OFF
VTK_USE_X                        ON

5. Most of the times I recompiled I deleted the old build directory and
started anew.
I already had vtk installed so perhaps there is a smarter way to
install paraview without rebuilding all the vtk functions but I am not
sure how so I just went for the "default" settings.

Hope this could help somebody.

Ciao!
Alexandra