[Paraview] time filters in paraview

Jones, Jake S jsjones at sandia.gov
Thu May 27 13:49:01 EDT 2004

Hello,

I want to create some vtk (and paraview) filters that do time filtering of
data (e.g. low-pass filtering, integrals, derivatives).

For example, in paraview the user would read a data file, then choose 'DSP
Filter' from the 'Filter' pull-down menu. The user would then either choose
a stock filter setting, or enter their own filter weights. Finally the user
would select a cell or point variable array from the input data set. The
filter would be applied to this array.

The big problem is that it seems that paraview (and vtk) is geared toward
accessing one timestep (one vtkDataSet) at a time. These kinds of filters
need to access multiple input timesteps (and previous output timesteps) in
order to generate an output.  I havent seen any examples of multiple
timesteps being passed through the pipeline.

Has anyone looked at this before? Can anyone direct me to examples of
something related that has been done?

Thanks,

Jake Jones
Sandia National Labs