AW: AW: AW: AW: [Paraview] Combine vect

David Thompson dcthomp at speakeasy.net
Thu, 13 May 2004 22:13:06 -0700

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 13:16, Amy Henderson wrote:
> To my knowledge, there is not a problem with your file format or the
> magnitude of the velocity components.
>
> Earlier in this thread, you said that the expression you were evaluating
> with the calculator was iHat * x1-vel  + jHat * x3-vel + kHat * x3-vel. Was
> this a typo? It looks to me like you should not be multiplying the same
> scalar array by both jHat and kHat. If this really is the expression you
> input to the calculator, it would explain why your streamlines are not
> doing what you expect them to.
Actually, I noticed a similar problem on the CVS trunk yesterday. To
replicate it, load multicomb_0.vtu, run the "Extract Surface" filter,
and then create an Array Calculator. If you enter
	Result = iHat*Density+jHat*Momentum_0
you'll get an incorrect scalar field. However, if you enter
	Result = Density*iHat+Momentum_0*jHat
you'll get the correct result. For some reason, multiplication by the
unit vectors isn't commutative. I've tried this on two different
machines with recent CVS checkouts and got the same results.

		David