[Paraview] GIS with ParaView - how to drape?

Berk Geveci berklist at nycap.rr.com
Tue, 09 Mar 2004 10:01:13 -0500

If I understand it correctly, you want to perform two distinct
operations:
1. modify the z coordinate of each point of a regular grid with an
elevation (this is what a carpet plot is and as explained in previous
messages, it is easy to do this in ParaView using "warp")
2. apply an image as a texture on a 2D surface (texture mapping).
Although the underlying engine (VTK) supports this, ParaView does not
yet support texture maps. Two reasons: 1. there has not been enough
demand to make this a priority, 2. since ParaView is designed to run in
parallel (and perform parallel rendering), there are some technical
issues we haven't addressed.
Depending on your requirements, you can use ParaView together with VTK
(VTK supports C++, python, tcl and java development) or you can dig in
ParaView code (with some help from developers) and try to enable texture
mapping.

-Berk