[Paraview] building paraview-1.8.1 on sparc-solaris 2.8

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Dec 13 13:10:25 EST 2004

Jason.Beech-Brandt at ed.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi Brad,
>
> I had a look through the CMakeError.log as you suggest and found the
> following,
>

> Determining if getsockname accepts socklen_t type  failed with the
> following output:
> Building object file vtkTestSocklenT.o...
> c++ -o vtkTestSocklenT.o         -Wno-deprecated  -Wno-deprecated     -c
> /deptpc/scratch/jbbrand1/packages/paraview-1.8.1/VTK/CMake/vtkTestSocklenT.cxx
> Building executable
> /deptpc/scratch/jbbrand1/packages/paraview-1.8.1-solaris/VTK/CMakeTmp/SocklenT/CMakeTmp/cmTryCompileExec...
> c++            -Wno-deprecated  -Wno-deprecated   -fPIC  vtkTestSocklenT.o
> -o
> /deptpc/scratch/jbbrand1/packages/paraview-1.8.1-solaris/VTK/CMakeTmp/SocklenT/CMakeTmp/cmTryCompileExec
> Undefined			first referenced
>  symbol  			    in file
> getsockname                         vtkTestSocklenT.o
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to
> /deptpc/scratch/jbbrand1/packages/paraview-1.8.1-solaris/VTK/CMakeTmp/SocklenT/CMakeTmp/cmTryCompileExec
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> gmake: ***
> [/deptpc/scratch/jbbrand1/packages/paraview-1.8.1-solaris/VTK/CMakeTmp/SocklenT/CMakeTmp/cmTryCompileExec]
> Error 1
>
> So I guess the executable can't be built as getsockname is not defined.
> Can this be fixed by just adding -lsocket to the compile line?

Probably.  I'll have to update the try-compile test to include it.  For
now you can work around the problem by manually editing CMakeCache.txt
and switching the line

VTK_HAVE_GETSOCKNAME_WITH_SOCKLEN_T:INTERNAL=0

VTK_HAVE_GETSOCKNAME_WITH_SOCKLEN_T:INTERNAL=1

Then run make again.  You might also have to add -lsocket to your
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS setting.

-Brad