[Paraview] building paraview-1.8.1 on sparc-solaris 2.8

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Dec 13 10:58:42 EST 2004

Jason.Beech-Brandt at ed.ac.uk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to compile paraview-1.8.1 on an UltraSparc Sun running
> Solaris 2.8.  My compiler is gcc-3.4.3.  Everything compile fine until I
> get to vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx, at which point I get the following
> compile error.
[snip]
> /deptpc/scratch/jbbrand1/packages/paraview-1.8.1/VTK/Parallel/vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx:
> In member function `virtual int vtkSocketCommunicator::GetPort(int)':
> /deptpc/scratch/jbbrand1/packages/paraview-1.8.1/VTK/Parallel/vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx:295:
> error: invalid conversion from `int*' to `socklen_t*'
> /deptpc/scratch/jbbrand1/packages/paraview-1.8.1/VTK/Parallel/vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx:295:
> error:  initializing argument 3 of `int getsockname(int, sockaddr*,
> socklen_t*)' gmake[5]: *** [vtkSocketCommunicator.o] Error 1 gmake[5]:

Since the getsockname function takes "int" on some platforms and
"socklen_t" on others, there is a try-compile that tests which signature
is available on your platform.  Look in CMakeError.log for text like this:

"Determining if getsockname accepts socklen_t type"

Somewhere after that text should be the compiler error message
indicating why ParaView thinks your platform does not have a getsockname
with socklen_t.

-Brad