[Paraview-developers] Resolve (paraview) dependencies of plugin

hermann.detz at gmail.com hermann.detz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 05:11:59 EST 2018

Hi!

The situation, I'm starting with:

I compiled paraview on my development PC without problems. I then
compiled some small plugin for it - again with out problems. If I run
paraview (either my compiled version or the binaries from the webpage)
on that PC, I can load and use the plugin.

The problem:

I did not find a way, how to get the plugin to run on other computers
using the paraview binaries.

When I run ldd on the plugin .so file, it tells me that it can't find a
list of paraview libraries, which are supplied with the binary:

libvtkPVClientServerCoreCore-pv5.4.so.1 => not found
libvtkCommonExecutionModel-pv5.4.so.1 => not found
libvtkCommonDataModel-pv5.4.so.1 => not found
libvtkClientServer-pv5.4.so.1 => not found
libvtkCommonCore-pv5.4.so.1 => not found

Obviously, the plugin depends on paraview libaries (makes sense so
far), which it can't find. Now I should admit, that paraview was no
really installed on the linux system, but just downloaded as binary
distribution. I'm aware of the common library search paths in Linux. My
problem is now, this plugin was developed to be used by a group of
users, I don't have direct relations with. They will download paraview
somehow and get it to run. I can't rely on them putting the binary into
the correct path to find the libraries.

Is there a way, how to statically link these libraries with the plugin
(although this is completely against the idea of having shared libs)?
Any Cmake defines, I'm missing?

Thank you in advance!
Hermann