[Paraview-developers] Problem with vtkMappedUnstructuredGrid with VTK_POLYHEDRON cells + writing to XML

Deij-van Rijswijk, Menno M.Deij at marin.nl
Fri Oct 27 06:53:47 EDT 2017

Hi,

I have a mapped unstructured grid which is, in essence, a mapping onto our simulation data structures. It works well for all intents and purposes so far, but now I find that when I write this unstructured grid to XML using vtkXMLPUnstructuredGridWriter, that upon reading the files in ParaView, the VTK_POLYHEDRON cells are not read correctly and are showing as holes in ParaView. Trying to select these cells using the Find Data dialog results in a crash of ParaView.

Looking at the few examples of polyhedral cells in the .vtu file format that are out there, it seems that the ‘faces’ and ‘faceoffsets’ arrays need to be filled to support polyhedral cells. However, for a mapped unstructured grid a vtkCellIterator is used during writing, and it looks like the ‘faces’ and ‘faceoffsets’ arrays are not written (see vtkXMLUnstructuredDataWriter::WriteCellsInline (around line 567 where it says “Faces are not supported by this method”) when a cell iterator is used.

Is this correct? Or am I missing something here? If my analysis is correct, I will try and see if I can add the support for Faces and FaceOffsets in the writer when using a cell iterator for polyhedral cells.

Best wishes,

Menno Deij – van Rijswijk

dr. ir. Menno A. Deij-van Rijswijk | Researcher / Software Engineer | MARIN Software Group
MARIN | T +31 317 49 35 06 | M.Deij at marin.nl<mailto:M.Deij at marin.nl> | www.marin.nl<http://www.marin.nl>

[LinkedIn]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/marin> [YouTube] <http://www.youtube.com/marinmultimedia>  [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/MARIN_nieuws>  [Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/marin.wageningen>
MARIN news: Verification and validation study of CFD simulations for the flow around a tug<http://www.marin.nl/web/News/News-items/Verification-and-validation-study-of-CFD-simulations-for-the-flow-around-a-tug.htm>