[Paraview-developers] 100% CPU usage once again

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Wed Oct 11 13:20:42 EDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 18:18:57 +0200, Paul Kapinos wrote:
> The spinning processes stuck at MPI_Barrier call in line 40 of
> 'ParaView-v5.4.1/VTK/Parallel/MPI/vtkMPICommunicator.cxx' file,
> >     34 static inline void  vtkMPICommunicatorDebugBarrier(MPI_Comm* handle)
> >     35 {
> >     36   // If NDEBUG is defined, do nothing.
> >     37 #ifdef NDEBUG
> >     38   (void)handle; // to avoid warning about unused parameter
> >     39 #else
> >     40   MPI_Barrier(*handle);
> >     41 #endif
> >     42 }
> It seem that ParaView's auto-build VTK version is build without NDEBUG define,
> or with other words, *with* debug stuff.
>
> Q: Is there a way to tell the ParaView's configure to set the VTK's define
> 'NDEBUG'? Or, more general, how-to tune VTK parameters? :o)

Hmm, Release builds should have `-DNDEBUG`. We have it set to use
Release for our binaries at least.

On the MPICH front, I have MRs here to add the configure option to the
MPICH we ship in binaries:

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview-superbuild/merge_requests/375
    https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/common-superbuild/merge_requests/191

I'm waiting for the dashboards to settle down so I can get a package
from it for testing.

--Ben