[Paraview-developers] Problem visualizing CxxFullExample in Paraview

thomasblome at startmail.com thomasblome at startmail.com
Wed Sep 14 13:11:41 EDT 2016

Hello,

In retrospect the problem was easly fixed by setting the path system
variable to the directory containing the aforementioned libraries, but
now I found out what the main problem is:

What I first tried was to open CatalystCxxFullExample.sln in VS and
then to run the RUN_TESTS project which was successful (both tests
passed).
While the tests were running I opened up Paraview and started a
connection to Catalyst via port 22222, as described in the catalyst
users guide.
But nothing happened, the GUI pipeline stayed empty, which I expected
to show some pipeline modules to be able to visualize the current state
of the simulation progress.

I assumed that RUN_TESTS just performs some tests in the background and
produces .pvtp output files of the simulation, but no actual
visualization is possible, thats why I tried this rather awkward way by
running the example using the windows cmd shell as described below.

But when I start RUN_TESTS for the CFullExample, it is indeed possible
to set up a connection in Paraview while the simulation is running - it
shows a cube in the ouput window.

I guess the CxxFullExample should also yield some graphical output. Is
there another way to get the example going (to visualize it in Paraview
during the simulation)?

P.S.:
- Compiling the CxxFullExample produces "Error C2039 'back_inserter':
is not a member of 'std' CxxFullExample", which one has to fix manually
by including "iterator.h" in FEDataStructures.cpp (pertains to other
Catalyst examples too)