[Paraview-developers] Launching custom-built paraview requires sudo?

Aron Helser aron.helser at kitware.com
Wed Sep 14 11:55:35 EDT 2016

Hi all,
I've got a mystery about building/launching ParaView on linux - it requires
'sudo'! If I try to launch paraview that I built without sudo, I get:

X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
  Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
  Resource id:  0x0

Hopefully this sounds familiar to someone...

Details:
Running Ubuntu 16.04 in a VirtualBox VM on Win10 host.
Happens with either legacy or OpenGL2 backend. Ninja build or make build.
I'm on an Optimus Dell laptop, so I haven't turned on graphics acceleration
in the VM.

Thanks!
Aron