[Paraview-developers] Data Processing in CPUs and GPUs

Dan Lipsa dan.lipsa at kitware.com
Mon Nov 14 10:02:00 EST 2016

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Khayam Gondal <khayam.gondal at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> To my knowledge even when using Paraview with GPUs it still uses CPUs to
> do some kind of processing. Can someone explain it to me that what part of
> processing is done on CPUs and how data is fed to GPUs.

Paraview does only rendering on the GPUs. There are filters that can do
processing on the GPUs or on multiple cores: take a look at
http://m.vtk.org/index.php/Main_Page

> And moreover when we use MPI with Paraview, does it is used in CPUs
> context. I mean the processing which is being done on CPUs will now be done
> in parallel.
>
> Indeed. Data is partitioned for the MPI nodes, each node processes and
renders its own data. The rendered image is composited and sent to the
client.

The ParaView Tutorial has a description of the ParaView architecture.
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/images/f/f7/ParaViewTutorial51.pdf

Dan