[Paraview-developers] Output Window Redesign

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Jan 19 12:36:50 EST 2015

This looks like a much better design. Here are some further suggestions.

  *   I am worried that only combining messages that are reported one after another (with no error in between) will not be aggressive enough. A lot of errant events span two or more error messages, and these messages may be in a loop. You won't catch the duplicates if you are only looking for similar errors spawned one after the other. Perhaps the output window can listen to the undo/redo stack and combine all similar messages issued between events in the undo/redo stack.
  *   The filter mechanism does not make much sense to me. It's too complicated, too different from every other application I've ever used, and doesn't seem to have much value. My recommendation is on the first pass to simply not implement any filtering. Once the verbosity improvements are made, I expect the output list to be short enough to be not worthwhile to filter. If you do want to implement filtering, I would change the "Filter All" pulldown menu with a simple toggle button that turns warning and debug message on and off. I would change the right-click functionality with a line edit widget that, when text was typed in, to show only messages that match the given text.
  *   There should be a way to easily export errors to text with details so users can post them to the mailing list. One or more of the following should be available: select rows of the table and copy-paste to text; have a text view that shows the output in the old text verbosity; have an export button that saves the errors to a file.

-Ken