[Paraview-developers] reader crashing when default timestep is set to last_timestep

Favre Jean jfavre at cscs.ch
Tue Jan 13 07:17:44 EST 2015

Hello all

I have a reader for an internal file format which is not time-aware (no timestep value is provided). Thus I store one timestep per file. The XML description makes my reader inherit from vtkFileSeriesReader with the following property.

     <DoubleVectorProperty
        name="TimestepValues"
        repeatable="1"
        information_only="1">
        <TimeStepsInformationHelper/>
     </DoubleVectorProperty>

if my default timestep is set to "go to first timestep", everything is good and I can animate and read any file in my file series.
If instead the default is set to "go to last timestep", paraview crashes in UpdateInformation in pqDataTimeStepBehavior.cxx line 81

scene->setAnimationTime(timesteps[newTimeStep]);

because newTimeStep has a huge value. My own code is not time-aware, so I have no source code specific to time.

Further, paraview also crashes  if I have a single file, instead of a file series.
I don't know if I need to give another XML hint, or if my RequestInformation() code should have anything special.

I'd appreciate any clue. (this is the latest git pull)