[Paraview-developers] static build and shared library plugins

Burlen Loring burlen.loring at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 15:29:04 EDT 2014

Hi All,

How would you feel about a build option that will allow normal shared
library based, run time loaded, plugins when PV is built with
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF?

The reason I'm interested is that static link handling of plugins are
currently the remaining obstacle to deploying static library based PV at
NERSC. We need the static library build for performance reasons at the
same time various users have request plugins. Recent versions of VTK
supported python and static library build, yay! plugins are the
remaining issue.

Burlen

for context here's a recap of static build plugin issues, when the
plugins are baked into the server:

1) upon job startup users are confronted with a complicated pop up
dialog through which they must then load all of the missing plugins,
else PV crashes on the first render.

2) some of the plugins change the GUI when loaded

both are confusing for many users