[Paraview-developers] Goodbye windows, Hello Mac

Robert Maynard robert.maynard at kitware.com
Mon Oct 28 13:09:41 EDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 1:00 PM, burlen <burlen.loring at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi John,
>

> Unfortunately, development of paraview under windows has become almost
> impossible due to the combination of cmake-2.8.x/VS2012 and whatever else
> which means that projects constantly rebuild and my development time has
> gone from seconds/minutes to hours for any turnaround.
>
> Having been frustrated by the unacceptable time consumed by MSVC building
> PV, I recently switched to ninja which can drive the MSVC compiler. It makes
> PV build as fast on Windows as it is on Linux. This blog post explains
> http://www.kitware.com/blog/home/post/434

I would be interested in hearing more information about the constant rebuilds
that occur under VisualStudio. Are these targets that are constantly
out of date?
Do we have a bug submitted to the CMake project about this issue?

> In addition, the mpich people have dropped support for windows (I need
> MPI-3) and some new projects I’m working on have toolchains which I can’t
> get going on my windows machine - at least not without considerable pain
> anyway]
>
> Open MPI has dropped support too. as far as I now the only one now is MS
> MPI. It works fine but is still MPI 2.
>

> This is a little off topic, so I apologise in advance, but I’d like to know
> what other paraview developers are using on the mac.
>
> gcc + vim + gdb. Extremly reliable, works in parallel. Unfortunately,
> probably not what you're after....

XCode 5.0 which is now what is offered with Mavericks doesn't provide
the gcc compiler suite. Instead you would have to use the following:

clang + vim + lldb ( optional python)

I personally switch between QtCreator and Sublime Text on the mac,
depending on the size of the project. QtCreator only weakness is a
debugger whose UI isn't as polished as Visual Studio.

I haven't dug into it much but lldb can be imported and controlled
from python, and itself can call python scripts at debug points,
you might look at that as your primary debugger.