[Paraview-developers] PointSprite plugin

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Mon Oct 21 11:31:55 EDT 2013

I'm sorry, I missed this thread.

Don't touch it yet.

We have an intern here at CSCS (Nicholas), who is upgrading the transfer function editing in paraview to support the visit widgets as part of the core. We are using them to handle gradient opacity editing in volume rendering, but by moving the widgets into qt/components we are able to use them in paraview main rather than a plugin. Moving the point sprites into core will now be easy. We have made a new vtkAbstractPiecewise function class and an extra vtkGaussianPiecewise function which allows the user to switch between the (extremely poor) transfer function in paraview now and the new (much spiffier) gaussian one. This stuff is almost ready for a branch on gerrit, but there are some bugs in the parallel histogram display for the gradient we need to address. The gradient stuff is working for raycast (hoorah, even on mesa), and texture3D, but not on the GPU volume renderer (does it support gradient?).
Once this is ready, we will move to the 2D transfer functions which are not present yet, but I had working some years ago for the texture mapper - and I need/want for the raytrace mapper.

It is our plan to push this out as a core paraview addition and not as plugin stuff. We'll do a video to demonstrate the features and a gerrit branch.

I was under the impression that Marcus at kitware had done a whole load of new spritey stuff for chemistry viz, so there's no need to drag out the old point sprite stuff maybe? anyway, integrating the point sprite wil be much easier soon, so wait a bit.

JB