[Paraview-developers] Xdmf writer bugs

Felipe Bordeu Weldt felipe.bordeu at ec-nantes.fr
Mon Nov 18 15:24:30 EST 2013

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to write my processed data into the xdmf format and I found some bugs.

The first that is the most annoying one is the following :

1)If the dataset has a string FieldData  ParaView crash nicely. To reproduce load the "NonOrthogonalSource" plugin, then create a "ShearedCube" Source and active the "Use Titles", finally try to save the dataset into a xdmf (.xmf).

- One solution is to ignore the data for the moment.

2) when the ParaView does not crash, I always get the following error, even if the file is correctly written.

"ERROR: In /Users/kitware/Dashboards/MyTests/NightlyMaster/ParaViewSuperbuild-Release/paraview/src/paraview/VTK/Common/ExecutionModel/vtkDemandDrivenPipeline.cxx, line 815
vtkPVPostFilterExecutive (0x11b23b2a0): Input for connection index 0 on input port index 0 for algorithm vtkPVPostFilter(0x11b237290) is of type vtkDataObject, but a vtkPolyData is required."

to reproduce just unselect the "Use Titles" option and try to save the dataset in xdmf format.

3) Why the filename of the heavy data are written with absolute path inside the xdmf file. this make impossible to move your file after, without doing a search and replace, in the xmdf file.

To reproduce just create a Disk1source (the default values make the mesh heavy enough to create a h5 file), and try to store it in xdmf format.

I'can work in a patch for the first, Do I open 3 bugs reports ???

Using ParaView 4.0.1 64 bit (OS X) from the website.

Felipe