[Paraview-developers] [EXTERNAL] Re: speed paraview/web

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Wed Nov 6 12:59:04 EST 2013

I'm pretty sure the issue here is "NoMachine".  For the Kitware folks, this is what I mean when I tell them I am running NX.  There are currently a few ways to remote into an external client computer on your desktop.  I am sure there are others, I am just talking about the ones I know.  The abstract version is that we are running a window into another computer, the remote computer is scraping the pixels off the remote screen, and sending them back to be viewed in our local window.

*         RGS.  With RGS, you log into a remote computer, and "own" the hardware graphics card.  Only one person at a time may be RGS'd into this remote computer (such as a blade in a rack in the back room).  You get hardware acceleration.  The blade or computer you log into can be anything - for instance, I am on a windows box and always log into Linux.

*         NX (NoMachine, nomachine.com) also allows you to log into a remote computer.  It uses a software "graphics rendering card", and for OpenGL, uses Mesa3d.   Since every user that NX's into the remote machine has his own rendering "machine" and framebuffer, numerous, dozens or hundreds of people can NX into a remote machine at a time.  Rendering runs at software speeds - and Mesa3d is horribly slow.  This is the cause of your issues.  As a side issue, if you are running remote server with a big supercomputer as your back end, all the ParaView client sees is images sent to the client - and NX really isn't that slow.

Alan