[Paraview-developers] ParaView plugins with MPI only on client

burlen burlen.loring at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 14:42:26 EDT 2013

Hi Utkarsh,

for my 0.02$ I don't find the idea of using mpi in the client very
appealing. I think it's going to add complexity without delivering
anything more than the current multicore option does.

given what the mpi 3 spec says about startup, there will not be a
portable solution any time soon (see below).

I assume you'll still support client with out mpi? this will be useful
for running the client on login nodes at hpc sites, many of which detect
mpi programs and shut them down. For the mpi-less client codes like
Michael's will crash it. therefor, we developers will need to do as we
do now, either use VTK's controllers/communicators or avoid MPI calls
when it's not available. assuming that client on login nodes is a use
case that you intend to support, mpi in the client is not really going
to make a developers life easier...would the hpc site then need two
builds? one with mpi for server running on compute nodes and one without
mpi for client running on login nodes?

I'm curious as to what's wrong with the multicore solution as it stands?
with muticore option, things just work for the user.
readers/sources/filters don't execute in the client so the client
doesn't need mpi at all. Are there any use cases where MPI is needed
outside of a reader/soruce/filter?

but say you wanted to do it what could you do?
for startup you could do as you do now for server startups -- force the
site/user to provide a pvsc (pvcc?), or perhaps force the site/user to
describe the mpi startup command at build time similar to how parallel
ctests currently work. to support running server with MPI and client
without, it would be nice if you refactored the build so that client and
server have independent MPI cmake configurations.

Burlen

from mpi 3.0 spec:

"""
While a standardized startup mechanism improves the usability of MPI,
the range of
environments is so diverse (e.g., there may not even be a command line
interface) that MPI
cannot mandate such a mechanism. Instead, MPI species an mpiexec
startup command
and recommends but does not require it, as advice to implementors.
"""