[Paraview-developers] ParaView plugins with MPI only on client

Michael Schlottke m.schlottke at aia.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Jun 1 11:15:26 EDT 2013

Hi,

for one of our own ParaView reader plugins we rely on Parallel NetCDF (pnetcdf) to do read in data in parallel, which in turn uses MPI to do the parallel I/O. Principally our reading algorithm works with any number of processes, including one.

At the moment, we always have to start a pvserver instance with MPI (i.e. mpiexec -n NN pvserver), start a normal client, and connect to the pvserver instance if we want to use the plugin - this also works for NN=1. However, when I start the ParaView client, the plugin crashes because MPI was not loaded/started. Thus we always have to go through the extra steps of starting a pvserver if we want to use the plugin.

Thus my question is whether there is a way to either start/load MPI manually from the plugin, or if it is possible to configure the client to automatically load and start the MPI library? Just enabling the Multi-Core option in the ParaView settings does not seem to do the trick.

Regards,

Michael

--
Michael Schlottke

SimLab Highly Scalable Fluids & Solids Engineering
Jülich Aachen Research Alliance (JARA-HPC)
RWTH Aachen University
Wüllnerstraße 5a
52062 Aachen
Germany