[Paraview-developers] Private dependencies merged in next, using new link signatures

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Wed Aug 21 09:33:13 EDT 2013

Hi,

I wanted to let you all know that I merged the private dependency
branch into next, and it seems to have stabilized now. There are two
dashboards with build issues, but they appear to be unrelated to this
change - dejagore and blight's static no-gui builds.

For stuff that is not tested, it is possible I missed some places
where dependencies would need to be added. Things like vtksys, vtkpng,
vtktiff and MPI became private dependencies as they are only used in
implementations. There is an abstraction for linking to MPI and
getting the compiler definitions right (vtkMPI) and the rest should be
added explicitly to the module dependencies or target_link_libraries.

We should also switch to using the new target_link_libraries signature
when used directly. This uses LINK_PRIVATE and LINK_PUBLIC to declare
whether linked libraries should be publicly or privately linked. The
previous call used to default to public linking, but unfortunately any
call with the new signature for a given target will switch the ones
from the old signature to private. Explicitly declaring them as public
or private is preferred - this largely depends upon whether the
library is part of the public API for your library (its headers
included in your public headers).

Please let me know if you spot any problems - missing vtksys symbols
are one of the most common. Adding vtksys to the module dependencies
or link line will fix that.

Thanks,

Marcus