[Paraview-developers] CoProcessing error: object has no attribute 'vtkLiveInsituLink'

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Thu Oct 25 12:20:38 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm experimenting with CoProcessing in ParaView. I cloned master
yesterday and build with the CoProcessing options listed on this page:

http://paraview.org/Wiki/CoProcessing

When running my fake simulation code, I get the following error message:

Initialize Helper Script
Initialize Helper Script
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 2, in <module>
  File "FakeSimulator.py", line 82, in DoCoProcessing
    DoLiveInsitu(timestep, pv_host, pv_port)
  File "<string>", line 414, in DoLiveInsitu
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'vtkLiveInsituLink'

Doing a git grep on vtkLiveInstituLink in the ParaView source brings
up the following:

CoProcessing/Core/cp_helper.py:      # Create the vtkLiveInsituLink
i.e.  the "link" to the visualization processes.
CoProcessing/Core/cp_helper.py:      live_insitu =
servermanager.vtkLiveInsituLink()
CoProcessing/Core/cp_helper.py:      # Tell vtkLiveInsituLink what
host/port must it connect to for the visualization
CoProcessing/Core/cp_helper.py:   # sources need to be updated by
insitu code. vtkLiveInsituLink never updates

grepping in the ParaView build directory shows:

Binary file ./CoProcessing/Core/CMakeFiles/vtkCoProcessor.dir/cp_helper_py.cxx.o
matches
./CoProcessing/Core/cp_helper_py.cxx:"      # Create the
vtkLiveInsituLink i.e.  the \"link\" to the visualization
processes.\n"
./CoProcessing/Core/cp_helper_py.cxx:"      live_insitu =
servermanager.vtkLiveInsituLink()\n"
./CoProcessing/Core/cp_helper_py.cxx:"      # Tell vtkLiveInsituLink
what host/port must it connect to for the visualization\n"
./CoProcessing/Core/cp_helper_py.cxx:"   # sources need to be updated
by insitu code. vtkLiveInsituLink never updates\n"
Binary file ./lib/libvtkCoProcessor-pv3.14.1.dylib matches
Binary file ./lib/libvtkCoProcessor-pv3.14.dylib matches

It seems that vtkLiveInsituLink isn't defined anywhere.

Any pointers? I'm happy to revert to an older version where this worked.

Thanks,
Cory

--
Cory Quammen