[Paraview-developers] [paraview-developers] What is the benefit if we open Multi-Core in ParaView?

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Mon Jan 30 08:56:33 EST 2012

Most of the parallel enabled filters are in VTK/Parallel, although
ParaViewCore/VTKExtensions has quite a few also.
See VTK/Parallel/vtkPStreamTracer for instance.

MultiCore mode is useful in the case where you have computationally
expensive data processing tasks. It generally doesn't help you to process
larger data (that is what parallel processing on a cluster is for, where
you have abundant disks and RAM available) nor does it help accelerate
rendering (same augment applies for graphics cards).

For stream tracing the parallel version may or may not be faster in
practice. It depends on how load imbalanced the problem is and how much
interprocessor communication has to occur.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive