[Paraview-developers] How does ParaView schedule render tasks among all the processes?

Jie Chen chenjie.hust at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 11:38:03 EST 2012

Hi all,

I have installed the ParaView-3.12.0 on a cluster with MPI enabled. And I
use it in a client-server mode.(pvserver is running on the cluster)

I'm curious about how ParaView process a task parallelly. The following is
my questions:
(1) How does ParaView split a file into multi-pieces for parallel
processing, and how to combine the results together?  Is there any special
process which handles these splitting and combining works?

(2) What policy does ParaView use when it computes the number of pieces?

(3)What policy does ParaView use when it assign the pieces to all the
processes?

I'm just beginning to look into the ParaView source code. Hope somebody can
give me some clue.

Thanks

Jie