[Paraview-developers] BUG?: Where can I get "mpirun" other than the folder of a released ParaView?

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Fri Feb 10 13:31:54 EST 2012

Utkarsh

> Alternatively, I can add a new xml attribute that says that the script blocks or doesn't. That was if the script is supposed to block and the launch indeed fails,

I think I have a better fix. If the script exists with error code then
we assume that launch failed, if the script exists without error code
then we assume the server has launched and attempt to connect to it.
Does that sound good? That way no one has to change any existing pvsc
files. (patch attached)/

> But this has now gone, so I add a terminal window to paraview so that I can see the results. It'd be quite nice to have a tag to say "Send launch commands/output to output console" as well so that it was easier to see stuff.

I've found that it's easier if the pvsc file uses a platform specific
terminal like xterm or cmd to launch the script. That way things like
entering passwords or such other things can also work seamlessly.
I've used elaborate scripts in the past (inspired by Burlen's scripts)
that make it possible for the user to check jobs status among other
things in this terminal window directly.

> Attached patch: No. It doesn't work, I tried standard mpiexec with forward connect, also reverse. Both failed. Forward is just a lock-up --pvservers do start, but connection is not made. Reverse shows the error msg dialog I posted earlier. Thanks for trying.

I'll keep working on it.