[Paraview-developers] [EXTERNAL] Re: Time-varying data reader

Joe Ping-Lin Hsiao phsiao at cs.unc.edu
Fri Aug 24 13:27:02 EDT 2012

It's working!
I just followed the VTK reader code in readers.xml at
ParaView3.14.1\ParaViewCore\ServerImplementation\Resources.

Ken,
  I first tried the xml code from the wiki, but I couldn't even read a
file. I guess the xml scheme had changed in ParaView 3.14, and what's
on the wiki is for older versions of ParaView.

Thanks,
Joe

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Moreland, Kenneth <kmorel at sandia.gov> wrote:
> It looks like there is a Wiki page describing how to use the
> vtkFileSeriesReader to convert a reader to understand file series.
>
> http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Animating_legacy_VTK_file_series
>
> -Ken
>

> On 8/23/12 3:35 PM, "David E DeMarle" <dave.demarle at kitware.com> wrote:
>
>>To make uniformly increasing time denoted in numbered file sequences,
>>encapsulate your reader in a sub proxy of a vtkFileSeriesReader. See
>>readers.xml for numerous examples of that.
>>
>>If you need nonuniform temporal spacing or need to improve upon the
>>file series reader's IO performance, make your reader supply temporal
>>information and respond to time requests appropriately in
>>RequestInformation and RequestData respectively. See
>>vtkTimeSourceExample for an example of that.
>>
>>David E DeMarle
>>Kitware, Inc.
>>R&D Engineer
>>21 Corporate Drive
>>Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
>>Phone: 518-881-4909
>>

>>On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Joe Ping-Lin Hsiao <phsiao at cs.unc.edu>
>>wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have written a customized reader in ParaView which reads 3D stacks.
>>> Now I'd like to add the function of reading time-varying data to it,
>>> so I can create animations from stacks.
>>>
>>> ParaView has this function already. If I convert time-varying stacks
>>> and name them stack001.vtk, stack002.vtk, and etc, ParaView would
>>> recognize the sequence and load them in at once, and I'd be able to
>>> play the animation just by clicking the 'Play' icon.
>>>
>>> I wonder is there any example of how to do that to a reader?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Joe