[Paraview-developers] Requiring Qt 4.6 for ParaView 3.8

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Mon Feb 8 10:21:37 EST 2010

Those are indeed good and valid points. We were discussing a possible policy
and here's what we have. What does everybody think?

* There will 1 officially supported Qt version. This is the Qt version our
binaries will be released with. The officially supported Qt version will
remain fixed for 2 revisions e.g. 3.8 and 3.10 both will officially support
the same Qt version. There will be a minimum Qt version below which it
cannot compile (for 3.8 this will be Qt 4.5). However the minimum version
may go higher in every release (but <= the official Qt version) depending on
whether we end up using some latest Qt functionality  provided by the
officially supported release.

* Let Qt 4.6 be an exception, since Qt 4.6 is required to build on Snow
Leopard and it's a nightmare to support different versions on different
platforms. So 3.8 and 3.10, will be requiring Qt 4.6 (with min. Qt 4.5)

* CMake will flag an error when the Qt version is below the minimum; a
warning when the Qt version is below the official  (but above the min.) and
be silent with the Qt version is same as the official or above.

* Any user-interface related issues for any Qt version, but the official
version may not be addressed.

* We'll always have a dashboard machine compiling with the latest Qt so that
there will be no surprises when we switch to the latest Qt.

* After two consecutive major releases (not patch releases) have stuck with
the same QT version and it's time to upgrade to a newer Qt version, we'll
pick the latest Qt version released at least 3 months prior to the release.

How does that sound? If it's acceptable, I can post it to the Wiki as the
official policy for Qt version updating.

Utkarsh