[Paraview-developers] Requiring Qt 4.6 for ParaView 3.8

burlen burlen.loring at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 15:08:43 EST 2010

Will this mean that PV won't build with any thing less than Qt 4.6?
I wonder if it would make sense to have a small range of supported
versions rather than a single one?

It's currently the case that with qt anything less than 4.5 pv fails to
compile (even if you remove the version test in cmakelists) because pv
uses some qt classes that were only added to 4.5. In my opinion it would
be a burden to pv users to get too far ahead of the various KDE
supported distro's packages. eg. Kubuntu 9.10 reports qt version 4.5.2.
KUbuntu 8.04.4 LTS reports qt version 4.3.4.

 From the point of view of making it easy to build paraview on various
contemporary distros would it make any sense at all to perhaps maintain
backward compatibility for some small window of time? eg: if in early
2009 qt 4.5 is commonly used by the KDE distro's then for all of 2010
paraview supports at a minimum qt4.5.

If it were just for developers I'd say no, but since anyone who wants to
take advantage of parallel pv has to compile. this type of thing has
potential to affect a bunch of users as well.