[Paraview-developers] [vtk-developers] git stupid question #4

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Apr 30 09:44:53 EDT 2010

Biddiscombe, John A. wrote:
> Denis, Mark
>
> Thanks to both of you for the tips and tricks
>
>> You do not have to switch to master, simply run
>>   git pull kitware master
>> from your cscs-pv branch.
>
> OK. That was a disaster.

The command is correct.

> it did an auto merge onto the cscs-pv branch and screwed up everything with conflicts.

Perhaps these are real conflicts that you would have gotten with a
"cvs update" previously.  We did recently do a sweeping change to
get rid of vtkTypeRevisionMacro and vtkCxxRevisionMacro.

> git "fetch" kitware master

This would fetch the new upstream history into your local repository
but would not merge it.  The merge would then need to be done explicitly
with "git merge kitware/master".  However, this would produce the same
conflicts because "pull" is really "fetch + merge".

-Brad