[Paraview-developers] CVS->Git Transition Plan

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Fri Apr 23 03:08:54 EDT 2010

So as predicted, everything is totally screwed up.

I have cloned paraview, got the submodules,
created a branch cscs-pv on the main paraview clone
created a branch cscs-pv on the Utilities/Xdmf sub dir
created a branch cscs-pv on the VTK sub dir

locally, I have commited all my changes to main/xdmf/vtk directories, and I was even savvy enough (I thought) to add my VTK and Xdmf changed branch stuff to the main commit.

And although my local tree shows everything 'up to date' - I cannot actually push the VTK/Xdmf stuff to my published cloned repo - it is essentially useless.

a checkout from the published repo gives me the main paraview stuff as expected, but I cannot get the updated submodules. In fact they are now completely broken and do nothing at all
if I try to checkout/update from the published repo

git submodule update returns ....
fatal: reference is not a tree: 8eb59f23eb8e69d94cbd7eb6ad029acd5d676f25
Unable to checkout '8eb59f23eb8e69d94cbd7eb6ad029acd5d676f25' in submodule path 'Utilities/Xdmf2'

it refuses to give me anything.

I now have at least 4 clones of clones, and I do not know what to do (or which is master anymore). I followed instructions from wikis and though I did everything right. Please help!!!!

Here's my best guess. Wipe everything, start again.
Clone Xdmf : create a cscs-pv branch. publish this on my temporary internal server
Clone VTK  : create a cscs-pv branch. publish this on my temporary internal server
Clone paraview : create a cscs-pv branch - somehow tell the repo to not use the submodules from kitware, but instead use my locally published ones, then things might work.

Am I anywhere near close to getting it working?

Any help greatly appreciated.

JB