[Paraview-developers] Moving to hdf5-1.8.x

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Thu Apr 15 06:30:55 EDT 2010

I have been rethinking my strategy.

Since hdf5 is now cmakeified (or will be released with it soon), I don't see any point in having it inside paraview. All that is required is that people use FindHDF5 to pick it up. If it's there, use it, if not, don't. I'm not happy making a nice cmakeified hdf5 that builds inside another project and obeys all the install rules etc and other wrinkles.

People wanting hdf5-1.8.x can simply install it (using cmake if they want) and use it with the current paraview.

Why was it included inside PV in the first place. I don't really believe it needs to be there.

Thoughts ?

JB