[Paraview-developers] Fwd: [Paraview] Descriptive statistics over time?

Thompson, David C dcthomp at sandia.gov
Fri Oct 9 13:49:03 EDT 2009

I agree it's a decent feature request. I have a few others
which we should prioritize and discuss how to implement:

1. Ken has a plan for the statistics filters to aggregate models
    across all blocks that have the requested arrays.
2. There's an existing bug in the tracker that essentially asks
    for selections in the statistical model table to result in
    corresponding elements in the input data to be selected.
    For example, clicking on the min or max of a descriptive
    statistics run should select all cells or points which attain
    the min/max. You could imagine similar behavior for at
    least some of the other filters like k-means. Not every cell
    in every result table has an easy mapping back to the input
    dataset, though.
3. I would like to have the ability to aggregate statistics over
    time ranges (i.e., not plot over time but see the min/max/mean
    over a range of time, not at a single timestep).
4. Eric's request for plotting the mean/min/max (or really any
    other entry in a statistics filter model output) over time would
    be cool as well. What I don't know is whether the selection
    mechanism in PV allows you to select a cell in a table or only a
    row at a time? If you can select cells, then shouldn't we make
    the Plot Selection Over Time filter work for tables, too? If not,
    does anyone have a good idea for how to implement this? I could
    certainly help with the statistics filter side of things but doubt
    I'm the person for the PV UI side.

    David