[Paraview-developers] plugin build path

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Mon Nov 30 10:01:19 EST 2009

Whilst playing with upgrading paraview from hdf5 1.6.x to 1.8.x I discovered that the cmake executable/library/other output dirs have been changed in newer cmake releases and so I made some changes to pv (local copy) to accommodate the changes.

Whilst doing this I thought how nice it would be to add an output directory for plugins.
Currently plugins get compiled and placed in the bin directory along with everything else, but if you set PV_PLUGIN_PATH to this location, every shared library in the folder is attempted to be loaded and you get millions of errors. Adding plugins one by one is very tedious - especially on systems like ours where visualization nodes are allocated by a slurm job manager and you get a different node each time - Paraview remembers which nodes had what loaded in its ini files and so you have to load them again and again and again manually for every node (since you never get the same node twice).

Having a build path for plugins would make life very much easier. By default it can be the same as the bin directory.

Is there any reason for me to not add this?

Also. Once our hdf5 1.8.x port is stable, does anyone have strong feelings about retiring hdf5 1.6.x from paraview (at the next release perhaps).

JB

--
John Biddiscombe,                            email:biddisco @ cscs.ch
http://www.cscs.ch/