[Paraview-developers] Announcing ParaView 2.0.0

Sebastien BARRE sebastien.barre at kitware.com
Tue Mar 22 13:25:45 EST 2005

At 3/22/2005 10:44 AM, Amy Squillacote wrote:

>The initial release of ParaView 2.0 is available for download from
>ParaView's web site (http://www.paraview.org/HTML/Download.html).  Please
>be aware that the files containing the precompiled binaries for Linux are
>rather large (over 50 MB).

=> 65 MB actually...

If you discard the symbols from the object files by running 'strip -s' on
the executable (I assume it's safe to do), you can shrink that to:
=> 52 MB
If you self-compress the executable with the usual 'upx -9' before
tar-gzip, you are down to:
=> 48 MB
(with the extra-benefit that the executables, ready to run on disk, will
take about 50 MB instead of 160 MB

Just my 2 cents.

--
Sebastien Barre