[Openchemistry-developers] Google Summer of Code 2022

Aritz Erkiaga aerkiaga3 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 18:17:20 EST 2022

Good evening,

I recently read that Google has opened its Summer of Code program to
non-developers. Having used Avogadro for so long, and now even being an
occasional contributor, I immediately rushed to write an application
draft. Now I'm glad to see that Open Chemistry has been accepted.

Here's the draft: https://aerkiaga.github.io/docs/gsoc2022.pdf

I've tried my best to be comprehensive and offer useful improvements,
but this document is subject to further updates throughout the month.
I'll happily accept any proposals to extend my scope, or take on an
entirely different project, as long as it's within my general interest:
the application of Avogadro components to biochemistry and drug design.
Performance work is also a task I'd appreciate; I've in fact optimized
Avogadro's PDB import and hydrogen adjustment in the last few days to be
50 and 15 times faster, respectively, so as to avoid long wait times
during testing.

Regarding the changes I've already made, I'm unsure how or when I should
publish them. I'm awaiting instructions on that front, and meanwhile
I'll keep working on the code.

Cordially,

    Aritz Erkiaga