[Openchemistry-developers] GSoC Inquiry

Karol Langner karol.langner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 17:46:24 EST 2018

Hi Trevor,

Good to hear from you. CC'ing two lists that will also be interested in
this thread.

1. I'm sure there's interest in non-QM programs, the main question is
whether cclib is the best vehicle for such parsers (cclib targets
electronic structure data primarily). That's something to discuss, but even
if that would be better suited for a new project, we could re-use some of
the code between projects. Also, have you checked out if those formats are
supported by Open Babel? If it's just structure, adding a parser for these
formats to that project would be faster.

2. I think there's interest in biological assays, but again I'm not sure
that fits into the scope of cclib. There are probably projects out there
better suited for that.

3. Definitely, did you have any specific analyses in mind? Based on
reactants, or something like reaction path calculations?

Finally, I would point out you can propose a project of your own. Any of
three things you mentioned would be well received by Open Chemistry, which
is the umbrella project under cclib participates in GSOC. Check out the
full list of ideas at http://wiki.openchemistry.org/GSoC_Ideas_2018