[Openchemistry-developers] Avogadro2 RPC?

Patrick Avery psavery at buffalo.edu
Thu May 25 19:22:14 EDT 2017

Hi Marcus,

I was able to meet (in person) and speak with Geoff yesterday. I think we
are both on the same page that we'd like to see the RPC features in
Avogadro2 be available in the binaries (and perhaps some documentation so
that other programmers can more easily use it as well).

It is attractive because it would allow programmers working on any kind of
molecular code to use Avogadro2 for the rendering of their
molecules/crystals without having to link with Avogadro2 during
compilation. It also allows for the rendering to be easily optional for
users (if the user wants to render molecules with that program, they can
download and start up Avogadro2; and if they don't want to render
molecules, they don't have to do anything). I think this would certainly
increase the number of people who use Avogadro2.

I'm willing to help clean it up and write some documentation for it. So I
was just wondering: what kinds of changes (if any) do you think need to be
made to get the RPC features as a part of the released binaries? And where
would the documentation go? I could write a "how to get your program to
render molecules with Avogadro2 RPC".

Thanks,
Patrick