[Openchemistry-developers] Interested in OneMol: Google Docs & YouTube for Molecules

Geoffrey Hutchison geoffh at pitt.edu
Tue Mar 14 10:58:54 EDT 2017

Dear Siddhant,

I think the specs are fairly clear:
http://wiki.openchemistry.org/GSoC_Ideas_2017#Project:_OneMol:_Google_Docs_.26_YouTube_for_Molecules

There needs to be:
* A web repository for uploading files (e.g., similar to http://wiki.openchemistry.org/GSoC_Ideas_2017#Project:_Computational_Chemistry_Web_Repository) including a REST API for upload and query.
* A web front-end to view files using 3DMol.js
* Some element of chat or collaboration thread for each file
* An API to synchronize viewer state (in 3DMol.js) between the clients

That would be the beginning. Think further about what it might mean to have a "Google Docs" for chemistry and take a look at some existing chemistry repositories:
* https://pqr.pitt.edu/
* https://openchemistry.kitware.com
* http://www.chemspider.com
* https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/2244