[Openchemistry-developers] GSoC 17: self-introduction and some questions

Geoffrey Hutchison geoff.hutchison at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 10:54:45 EST 2017

Welcome!

> I have had a look at openbabel project, looking for some issues to fix. But the issues are very old(the last is 2015), and all have a similar label(feature low priority). I have no idea about which to choose.

The Open Babel tracker recently migrated a lot of bugs from SourceForge to GitHub. The list of issues is somewhat scrambled:
https://github.com/openbabel/openbabel/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc

> And I can also work with "Integrate with VTK: Volume Rendering and Charts", "Biological Data Visualization", "Molecular Dynamics". I don't have experience with opengl now, but I think I can learn for it if needed. Which one is more promising?

I would suggest if you’re interested in one of the 3D rendering projects that you start looking into OpenGL rendering soon. Proposals are due in a few weeks and certainly those projects will be best served by proposals that have some knowledge of OpenGL, GLSL, and related concepts.

As to the “which one is more promising,” they are interesting for different reasons. We didn’t put “low priority” projects on the idea list. Take some time and think about which one seems most interesting to you. You’ll write a better proposal if the project excites you.

Best regards,
-Geoff